Monday, November 27, 2006

You're One Percent Dream, Ninety nine Bull Sh*t

I know a lot of people that are heavily dependent upon their parents. Not so odd you may say? These people are between the ages of 25 and 40. Okay. So the 25 year old that still lives at home with his mom and dad with no bills to pay and comes into work flaunting his new Ipod's, cell phones, hundred dollar sunglasses......partially ok. I moved out my parents house when I was 22, and in reality, if I had waited a few more years to leave, things may have worked out better than they have for me right now. I just couldn't take living in the basement anymore, and hell, it was my mom and dads house. I was usually only home about two days out of seven every week anyway. I would usually crash at any number of my friends' houses when I was in college because I was far far too drunk to even think about driving home anyway! Once I did move out, though, things became totally different, as I had my OWN place, and I was staying home far more frequently than I ever did before.

Now, the older adults I know? One guy is nearly 40 years old and he still lives in the same house with his mother---he has a car payment and insurance, pays one credit card bill, and that's about it. Free room and board. Free meals. Free everything. Of course, as far as anyone knows, he's still a virgin, but that's beside the point. He works at a flea market and sells trading cards and beanie babies to have cash for spending on things like gas and bowling, and that's all he does. His friends buy everything else for him. Trips to Cedar Point, weekends away in Chicago, flights to Vegas. Just about anything he wants.

My just moved out roommate got to move into a house that her mother completely renovated. Now, she of course organized all the work that needed to be done, but her mother paid for everything. So now she has a nice two story house to live in with minimal bills to pay, and pretty much stuffed everything here right up my ass. I CAN afford to live by myself with only one job, but just barely. Once I have all my bills paid for the month, I will have about $300 left over to spend on things like gasoline, food, and bowling. Thank god I don't smoke anymore! If I hadn't quit at the beginning of this year, I'd certainly have to now. I spent about $1,500 on cigarettes per year when I did smoke. How pathetic is that??

Anyway, the point is, all these people I know always have financial stuff fall right into place for them, and everything gets handed to them on silver platters, or at least silver plated ones. I work hard every day, come home and sit around, and just lump it because I can barely afford to do anything else. What I am doing wrong? Why don't I just move back in with my parents (or right next door to them like the ex roomie) and just let them deal with all the financial shit for a while? I'm sure my mom would be thrilled if I lived back at the house. She has separation issues as I am an only child and all....

Oh yeah, I remember. I like being on my own, away from my parents. It's not that I don't love them. I do. I just don't want them to have to support me, or feel like they have to. I want to live my own life. There must be something terribly wrong in my brain for me to want independence, and more importantly, a place to call my own that I pay for with my own money.

But oops, I'm just a little peon who rents. I will never own this place. Not unless my landlord dies and he forgets to tell his heirs that I am living here.....then maybe one day I can just forget to pay my rent and not have anything come of it. My friends who don't pay rent, or who pay very little rent don't ever have to worry about that.

Because as it is right now, everyone is getting what they want and what they need but me. When is it going to be my turn?? I can hardly wait to see what comes when my time arrives. It better be good.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home